Monday, March 9, 2009

Today was a Good Day...

This has been a very odd year for me. There have been so many changes I can't keep up! Just when I have everything figured out and under control I get the rug jerked out from under me ;) I'm dealing with Kristen's growing independence and all of Brandon's new things in his life, but there have been other changes that are more subtle although equally important.

I've never taught anyone to read or do math before. Kristen went to school through the 4th grade and Brandon taught himself basic reading and math when he was 4-5 years old. So Nicholas was my first, first-grader :) It has been quite the experience! There have been some very frustrating days. I never thought I would have to say the same things so many times! But today, he read his reader-of-the-week to me and let me tell you...he did good! I've been noticing a change in him lately. He doesn't protest as much when it's time to get our day started. And you should see him zip through that math! He can even read some of the reading problems and the number words! I've been so impressed with all he's learned this year! And the best part is, I got to see each small step he took along the way! It has been a very special, rewarding time with him. Today at the grocery he said, "Mom, I can read that cereal box...Pops" He was looking at a box of corn pops! I think it's the first time he's tried to read anything outside of our house...something out in the world! That was a very exciting moment for him! He was very impressed! Tonight, when I was snuggling him in bed, he said, "I can still remember that cereal I read at the store." I think today was very special so I thought I'd post some pics of him working hard to celebrate:
(again...see that sun coming in??)

At Dawes Arboretum checking out the maple syrup buckets (more to follow on that).
Working on his 100 chart:
Checking out eggs in a chicken coop with Megan on a farm field trip back in the fall:
Working hard, but see the toy in this picture?? That's what I'm always up against ;)
Being sweet with his sister :) O.K. he's not really working here, but it's very cute!
Today was a good day...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys had a good day! And isn't a wonderful feeling to open up a world of reading for your child? Rhyse is doing the same thing--out reading all that the world has to offer and it's just thrilling me to no end because I TAUGHT HIM THAT! Congrats to your hard little worker and may he read and add his way right into a fabulous spring and summer! It's coming, Laura, it's coming, I can feel it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching my children to read has been the best part of homeschooling for me. When it all just clicks and you are there for that, is priceless!
    I think Brandon and Ethan were busy in a corner of the Montessori room learning to read without telling us!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete