Saturday, January 8, 2011

Snowflakes

Thursday morning, as we watched the flurries coming down, I decided it was a great morning for a snowflake craft! I hopped on the Crafty Crow, and, as usual, she didn't disappoint. This snowflake resist craft is simple and fun plus it uses paint :) How perfect is that?!?

I didn't photograph working on the craft with blogging in mind so my pictures are more of the kids than the actual work ;) but here's the link if you want more detailed instructions.

Step one: on watercolor paper, draw snowflakes with a white crayon. Press hard! We talked about the fact that they have six sides.
 Nicholas had a bit of trouble seeing where he had made snowflakes. I had him lay the paper on the table and look at it at an angle and I think it helped.


 Kristen was in the other room working on her own homework, but she overheard our little project and wasn't about to miss all the fun! She's going to have so much fun as a teacher :)

Step two: cut paper into equal rectangles. I numbered each corner and added their first initial so we wouldn't get them mixed up and so we could reassemble them properly.

Step three: using watercolors, paint each rectangle. The snowflakes seem to show up better if you paint one direction then another.
 See the example on the computer behind Megan? I like visuals :)



Step four: reassemble. We taped the back then glued the whole thing to heavy construction paper.

Our results:


 This one is Kristen's. She'd already left for school when I was taking the finished pictures. You can see what a difference it makes when you press hard.
There are many other snowflake projects to check out on the Crafty Crow. I love the yarn one but I don't know if my gang has the patience for it. Plus there's no paint involved :P

 I have a feeling this will be the Winter for Crafts!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Have been buckling down so hard trying to catch up with schoolwork that have not been having fun crafting with my people!
    Thanks for the inspiration!!!
    And tell Kristen that I think hers is just beauuuuutiful!

    ReplyDelete