Monday, August 1, 2011

Nature

Last week, I spent my time planning our upcoming school year. I'm really getting excited about some of the things we'll be doing! One of our new additions is a real nature study. Every year I buy the kids a new sketchbook and make plans for nature journaling, but, although we make it out several times to specifically study nature, their sketchbooks usually have more cartoons drawn in them than anything else ;) I'm planning for this year to go a bit differently. 

First thing I did was tell them, "This sketchbook is for Nature Journaling  only!" (I couldn't really blame them for all their lovely cartoon sketches when I hadn't really told them it was a nature journal, now could I?)

Second thing we did was head to the park on a nature walk! It's amazing how many things you notice when you are purposefully setting out to notice things ;) Here's some of our day:










The bad part of our day was that every time we stopped to look at something, the bugs caught up with us! I didn't even know we HAD that many bugs in Ohio! 

It was a good start to what I'm planning to be weekly journaling.

No comments:

Post a Comment