Sunday, December 11, 2011

Party for Two

Yesterday was the day we've been waiting for all month...our friends, the Miller's, annual Christmas party. This seems to come early enough that it sort of kicks off a nice long string of Christmas festivities for us and we look forward to it every year.

This year was a bit different though. Nicholas has a cold. This complicated things as we do not take sick kids anywhere they might easily pass those cold germs to others. We basically avoid close contact places like church, co-op, and friends' houses. Another complication is that Todd is out of town right now so I've been on my own this weekend making splitting up to take the kids who are not sick to their party while leaving the sick one home impossible. I waited until Saturday morning, hoping and praying that Nick would wake up better, but he didn't. He was coughing just as much as he had been. UGH. I had to tell the kids we weren't going. This was not a popular decision and I totally understood Megan's and Brandon's frustration.

Lucky for them, we've known the Miller's forever! I sent Margot a text explaining the situation and asking if Brandon and Megan could come parentless. I never would have done this is any other circumstance (and I did tell her if she thought it might cause her stress to have kids there unsupervised to tell me and I would totally understand! This party is HUGE and I didn't want to add to the stress of hosting such an event), but like I said, we've spent so much time with the Miller's and Margot has spent so much time with our kids that we all seemed comfortable with this arrangement. So after threatening lecturing our kids on what I expected of them, I took them to their party and left them with their friends and mine. I'm so glad I did! They had a great time! I can't wait to see pictures from their afternoon.

As for the sick one, he had the opportunity to have some time with Mom :) He wanted to get his Christmas shopping done so that's exactly what we did...after a quick stop at DQ for a milkshake ;)
This is my only picture of our afternoon. Can you see how sick he looks? And that little raw place under his nose where he blew his nose all week? This little guy is really under the weather. But he was a trooper! He didn't complain about not being allowed to go to the party, not one bit! I'm so proud of him for that! He was completely worn out by the time we picked up Brandon and Megan, and still, no complaining! That means the rest of the evening was video game time ;)

Hopefully, he is on the mend and no one else gets this thing! We're ready for our fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment