Tuesday, April 28, 2009

School?

We had another great day outside today! This weather is just being so cooperative that we've moved our school outdoors!

I took the kids (all of them! yay!) to the park today for a little scavenger hunt. Thank you, Jenny, for your post on this! You know I can never come up with anything on my own! We tweaked it a little since ours was in the woods and away we went! All of us had a great time finding the things on the list and just taking our time walking through the woods. It was so relaxing and actually very educational! Since the boys are studying habitiats in science (actually Brandon is done with his science book but he could do science things every day of his life!) one of the things on my list was to list all the habitats you see. There are actually many different little environments, ecosystems, habitats... whatever you want to call them...in the woods and we had fun talking about them.

Some pics from our walk:
Leading Kristen


We saw a swamp early in our walk and there were all kinds of little things swimming in and on the water there so at the end of our walk we went back over to see if we could get some pictures and one of the naturalists was there! She was getting samples of the critters to take back to the nature center so we had a little private lesson on the names of some of those little squiggly things! So fun!
In her little aquarium she had a very large orange mite (very rare), a leech (eww), and a few other little crawlies that I can't remember the names of.
We were particularly interested in all the tadpoles swimming around so she netted one for us to get a picture of!

I was trying so hard to get a good picture of all the little things in the swamp I'm surprised I didn't fall in! lol
In that picture are fairy shrimp!

No park trip would be complete without a stop by the nature center:
These little turtles were a big hit! Even Kristen wants one!

We left the nature center and drove over to the goldfish pond on the way out of the park and guess what we saw?? The biggest tadpole ever! I finally was able to get a picture!

Again we had a great time just looking around for things. Poor Meggie was getting hot and tired but she was a trooper!
Do you think he's hot?
Brandon the Science Guy
After the pond, we headed home for a fruit smoothie and an indoor craft which I will post later! What a great day! I'm not looking forward to the return of our normal temperatures at all!

Maybe for the next scavenger hunt we'll round up some friends and head over to Inniswoods. I think there are lots of things to "find" in the Secret Garden! :)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you guys had a great time! My kids so enjoyed the scavenger hunt too! Remind me to tell you about another scavenger hunt idea I found in my new favorite book!

    ReplyDelete