Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Spirit of Competition

The Southern Baptist churches have a program called Bible Drill. It starts at fourth grade and goes through high school. The kids who chose to participate have a lot of memorizing to do. They memorize 25 Bible verses from the King James version, 10 key passages, and ALL the books of the Bible...in order. Meetings start in October so they have time to learn it all, then there are three competitions... church, associational, and state.

Last year, Brandon was eligible to compete and boy was he ever excited! He is so competitive! He worked so hard learning his verses and Bible books. Then came the first competition...the church drill. Piece of cake :) All the kids did so well! The following week was the associational.

Brandon turned down breakfast that morning. That was the big clue that something wasn't right. That boy has NEVER turned down food! After a major inquisition, he said he didn't feel well. Oh no. After a million more questions, he finally said he was nervous. What?? He has never had any kind of stage fright?!? Piano recitals, choir, church musicals, showcase...he has never batted an eye and very much seemed to enjoy everything he did on stage. I was more than shocked. We took him down anyway thinking his nerves would calm in the presence of his friends...they didn't. He was so nervous and upset I thought he was going to throw up. We took him out of the competition. It was heartbreaking for me because he'd talked about it for weeks. He had worked so hard and he was so excited...I couldn't believe it.

Imagine my surprise when he wanted to sign up for Bible Drill again this year! I told him I didn't care if he competed at all and that the important part of Bible Drill was learning the Bible...the competition is to encourage them and give them goals. But he said he wanted to compete.

Tonight was the church drill. There are only three kids in the children's level so there's a bit of pressure! I was a little worried. There are four different rounds and each round has six questions, so when there aren't many kids, each child will get called on more often.But.....he did great! I'm so proud of him!

Good job Brandon! Next weekend is associational! I know he'll do just fine :)

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Your word.
With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
Your word I have treasured in my heart,
that I may not sin against You.
Psalm 119:9-11

Your word is a lamp unto my feet
and a light unto my path.
Psalm 119:105

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I know just how he feels and probably how you did, too! Greer is so like that as well. Last year she chattered on and on about recital and then was frightened out of her little mind and wouldn't go on stage! But I too learned to see that she loves DANCE, she loves the classes and takes such enjoyment out of her time spent with her friends and teachers during her dance time. On HER terms :) She just doesn't like all the attention that performing brings.

    So I can relate to last year's "almost" adventure and I'm so happy that Brandon wanted to try again! How great for him and I know you are so proud! He's a sweet boy.

    We're wishing him good luck as he prepares for his next round!

    ReplyDelete