Saturday, April 17, 2010

"N" is for Nest

As I've posted here before, Megan and I are working our way through the alphabet. It has been really fun doing these little projects with her! She often asks repeatedly for work and I love it! She's coming right along and I think we'll have another reader before long.

A few weeks ago, we did "N" and read about nests. I have a kindergarten curriculum that I used for the boys that is alphabet themed but this year when I pulled it out, I decided that I didn't always like the letter theme or when they said it "should" be done so I'm choosing what we work on and when ;) I am still using several of their worksheets and book suggestions, but there are some great blogs I follow (and have linked here many times!) that have some wonderful suggestions and worksheets that I never find us short on work. The boys are studying birds for science and Brandon is working on his bird study merit badge not to mention, this is a great time to find birds' nests and eggs, so that's what we decided to do :)

Along with lots of great worksheets and wonderful books and some bird watching, we made a bird's nest. I can't remember which blog I got this from but I think it was linked on Confessions of a Homeschooler.

We started with lots of pieces of yarn and balloons blown up just a bit:


We dipped the yarn into some glue then layed it on the balloon for shape.
The kids gained a great deal of respect for the birds and how hard they have to work on their nests! They all said more than once how hard it was! Good lesson!

Next, we let it dry. Since we got busy with other things (as usual!) this sat for a few days so I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to dry, but you'll want it to dry completely.

They suggested using those blue colored malted milk balls for little robin's eggs and those would have been cute, but we stuck with using things we had here at home and came up with some pretty cute eggs made from pipe cleaners :)

1 comment: