Friday, January 30, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

We don't usually celebrate every little "holiday" that is on my calendar...we're just too busy. But this year is different! Brandon's history curriculum this year is Eastern Hemisphere, basically the history and culture. We've never really done a study like this so it has taken a while to get used to and find our groove ;) Since we are finishing Japan this week I suggested we start China next to coincide with their biggest holiday! We've found lots of resources to start our lessons. Monday was the first day of the Chinese New Year. It always starts end of January/beginning of February on the new moon and lasts 15 days til the full moon. On Monday, as I logged on to the internet, I noticed a video about this holiday and the history of it so we started with that. On the Enchanted Learning website I found some activities for all the kids. I printed these off and we started learning about the Chinese New Year! We've learned some geography and a little about the animals over there as well. We also did this nice little craft :)
Fold the paper in half. I drew lines to help the little ones know where to cut.
Starting at the side with the fold cut across, but not all the way.
Unfold, staple or glue short ends together and attach a handle and you have a Chinese lantern!
We strung ours up for some cheery decorations :) I think we should have Chinese food for dinner (don't know if I'll win that one ;))

1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable!! I'm getting so many good homeschooling ideas from you guys!

    ReplyDelete