Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Keeping Brandon Busy

Brandon has never really liked his language arts curricula...none of them. If you knew how much reading he does, this fact would shock you. It does me. He's been dragging his feet with his grammar and punctuation book and his writing book all year and I hate when our kids do that. Pulling people through the day is exhausting. Often, I just keep pulling until the end of the school year. Certainly there are things they must learn and one of those things is that sometimes you have to do things that you may not love ;) Like cleaning toilets. (that's my not-love by the way)

But sometimes I run across something that I can change...a way to make learning a bit more fun for them in the hope that they'll learn it better if they are having some fun doing it. Such is the case this week! We've put aside the grammar and writing books in favor of a novel study!
This fantastic book along with this novel study and we have an overhauled language arts program! The study has vocabulary, comprehension questions, events sequencing, point of view studies and several writing assignments and covers the first two books in this series. I just downloaded it and printed it off. We've only just started this but already he is asking to read ahead! (my response was yes! but you also have to do the study questions and vocab before you move on ;))

There are going to be assignments in this study that he doesn't like, but I'm hoping that mixing some of the more unpleasant tasks in with studying a good book that maybe they won't be so unpleasant after all :)

3 comments:

  1. Adrienne is reading that series too. The author is coming to the book store cover to cover in Clintonville. It is the cutest little book store. We saw Lemony Snicket and the author of If you give a mouse a cookie. I think he is coming sometime in March. You guys should go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! We've never read any of these books before but I know they're hugely popular. I wonder if Chas would like them? Maybe we'll borrow from the library and see what we think! And how neat that it has a curriculum, too! Fun stuff makes all the difference in the world! (And I always think--they'll face so much junk when they get older, stuff they don't want to do but have to that I'm happy to limit that for them in childhood.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will check that out at the library too!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete