Sunday, February 28, 2010

Our Basketball Season

Yesterday, the kids finished their Upwards basketball/cheerleading program. We have really enjoyed it! In the past, I'd asked Brandon if he'd like to try basketball, but he always just shrugged his shoulders and gave me the impression of "not really" so I didn't push. I like being home :)

This year, however, I leaned on him to give it a try. He agreed and along came Nicholas and Megan to join up too ;)

I've sang the praises of Upwards before; how it's a Christian-based program and they focus more on teaching the game and less on the actual winning/losing part. I really appreciate that. I like that there are kind coaches who don't make a big deal out of things and instead choose to celebrate the victories of each individual based on their skill level. I think that's very important for young people who are learning something new.

So, here are some of my favorite pictures from this basketball/cheerleading session!

Check out Nick's blocking skillz ;)
I love this picture because not only does he have a huge smile but he has friends on the cheerleading squad on the sidelines :) (Margot, do you recognize any of them?? ;))
He did good at staying with his guy.

Our little cheerleader. Megan missed the last game because she has strep (UGH!).
She LOVED the mascot (a lion).
She wants to try basketball next year.

Brandon enjoyed this the most I think. He looked forward to every practice and game and really gave it his best. His age group does keep score but again they really focus on teaching the boys the game. It was really exciting for him to know some of the other players too, even though they were all on the other team! Our first game he and Kyle, who is a very good friend, were assigned to each other:
They had a great time blocking each other!
Brandon learned how to be a bit more aggressive:
I captured two of my favorite things yesterday:

First, they pray before each game. What a positive example for these young men :)
And then, this has nothing to do with basketball, it just happened to happen there:
Nick took a book to Brandon's game ;) He carries books everywhere now! Amazing!

In summary, we will do this again next year! It was a great addition to our winter (although it drags me out)!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through that busy season and looks like everyone had a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Upward too, for the exact same reasons but haven't participated now for two years. We need some home time! Soccer throws us for a loop in the fall and spring so we hibernate all winter long.

    But it looks like we're missing tons of fun! I love all the photos, great shots of Brandon and Kyle (how funny!!), and my goodness, Megan is just adorable out there cheering!

    Glad you all enjoyed such a wonderful season with a wonderful program in a really CRAPPY WINTER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 2 games left, and enjoy it also! Glad you guys had a fun and injury free season!

    ReplyDelete