Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Square Foot Gardening

Since we've lived here, we haven't had any luck with our garden. Either the critters eat all the plants or they just haven't done well in general leaving us very disappointed with our efforts. The last couple of years, I haven't even bothered trying.

But this year we decided to give it another go. I ran across a gardening book that I really like called All New Square Foot Gardening and finally this year, we're giving it a try!

One of the things I like about his ideas is less work ;) Another thing is planting anywhere you have space. With that in mind, I put some things on our deck in hopes of keeping the critters out! Hopefully it works!!

Here's one of our containers a couple of days after planting seeds:
 I couldn't believe how fast they spouted!

This is today (a couple of weeks of growth):
 Gorgeous!

Todd made this one for the yard. Hopefully the critters hate peppers and tomatoes ;)
 I'm so excited about having some fresh veggies at our fingertips!

I had told my mom about it and last Friday, the kids and I went over to help her get started:
 We made her three raised beds 4'x4' each.
 Megan is a little gardener ;)
 Yep that's me. Bet you didn't know I could handle power tools! Todd usually keeps me away from them though ;)
I'm loving the simplicity of this gardening! Hopefully, I'll be posting pictures of yummy veggies soon :)

1 comment:

  1. I so want to try these small gardens. Please share your results. If it really works, I will have to seek the book and attempt next year in our new home. :) Angie

    ReplyDelete