Monday, October 17, 2011

Photography 101

I've been wanting to learn more about taking good pictures. I thought I'd do some exploring with different settings throughout the summer but since most of my pictures are outside in the summer and my camera takes pretty amazing pictures with all that gorgeous sunlight, I put it off ;) Now, though, it's fall and our daylight hours are much, much shorter not to mention it's to cold to hang out outside all day! So there's that desire, once again, to learn more about photography. I found a cheatsheet online and set on the bench in the front yard watching my cute, photography subjects play ;)
Pretty good! I was so encouraged!

Like I said though, my camera takes pretty amazing pictures outside ON AUTO. I quickly found out that I should have been working on the kind of pictures I have trouble with: indoors and movement. Blurry or oddly colored pictures, that's what I wanted to learn about. As I tried to continue to use my manual setting for inside pictures over the next couple of days this is what I got:
 Brandon playing piano in our co-op's talent show.
 Dinning room in the Kelton House during a field trip.
Megan bouncing on a ball.

Oh. my. goodness. I could not figure the settings to save my life! Throwing out my cheatsheet and heading back to the internet.

I follow several very good photography blogs. Some give tutorials but the language is way over my head; I'm sure they are meant for other photographers. I needed something simple! And I found it and I want to share it!

http://thedailydigi.com/ is actually a scrapbooking site but in her sidebar, one of the categories is Photography Class. Her tutorials are amazing! She uses pictures...of the camera! and simple words like aperture =the hole that lets light into your camera. I love it! She does have some tutorials that are over my head still but lots for a beginner. I took two pages of notes yesterday and can't wait to try them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment