Monday, June 22, 2009

Strawberry Pickin'

So several of my friends have been telling me about how GREAT the strawberries at the pick-your-own places are this year. This is actually something I've been wanting to do for a while now, but our June is usually so busy that I always forget. Not this year! My mom and I had planned on going out a couple of weeks ago with the kids to get our share of those wonderful strawberries, but the constant threat of thunderstorms and the chilly weather had me postponing.

I wish I hadn't.

We decided to go after VBS last Monday. We drove out to the farm and guess what? It was THE LAST DAY for picking. You know what that means. Yep. There weren't very many left. And the ones that were left had something wrong with them ;) Yep, I waited too long. Now that I know when to go, I'll be more on the ball next year though! I want my yummy, red berries!

Since we were there, we went on out to see what we could find.

Not even half a bag.

Oh well, the little store had some really yummy tomatoes that made the trip worthwhile ;) And of course I took some cute pictures of my babies digging around in all those plants looking for little red treasures ;)

After I had to leave the field to hunt down a port-a-potty (Megan) , listen to whining (Nicholas), and deal with the blazing sun after a morning of VBS, I called it quits. We happily took our little berries, and some other goodies from the little store, home!

Lessons learned:
1. Go late May/early June
2. Go in the morning
3. Take drinks and snacks ;)

Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm really looking forward to berry picking next year! lol

3 comments:

  1. I missed it too! BAH!
    Adding number 4 to your list: remind and take Angi and family!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids ate all ours in two days so I never go to make jam........add #5. Pick more for Carla tomake jam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we need to plan a co-op field trip next year in early June! I made the mistake of going alone, in the heat with no snacks last year! That will never happen again!!!

    ReplyDelete