Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Girl, All Grown Up

Last Monday and Tuesday, Kristen had her orientation! Monday was testing day. She had to take the math and language arts placement tests (everyone does) and she scored right on par! As a homeschool mom, I try not to let the state dictate what my kids are learning, and especially how they learn it ;) but it's so much harder when they are preparing for college. So many tests! You really get caught up in the comparison thing that standardized tests promote. I'm relieved that she can move forward with her education at her own pace, directing her own path.

Tuesday, parents could come and sit in on the morning of orientation, have lunch, and help with registering for classes. You can be sure I was there ;) It was really an experience! There was alot of information thrown out there during orientation and some of it was quite comforting. I feel that she will be in a safe, encouraging environment.

It was very special to me to help her decide on her classes. We've been doing this quite a bit over the last four years as I sought her opinion when I could on her high school classes, but this was much more broad! We were in the very last orientation before the semester starts so most of the classes on her "wish list" were full but we were able to come up with a full load of very good classes for her! She's especially excited about being in a book club ;) That's my girl!

We are all so very proud of you, Kristen and very excited about what is sure to be an adventure for you! I'm looking forward to our "Gilmore Girls" nights and hearing all about your school days!

No comments:

Post a Comment