Saturday, July 24, 2010

Something to Try (Or Not!)

I've been trying to do some fun, unique little projects/crafts with the kids this summer. I've also been working ALOT around the house on projects which means I'm using the internet to find all my cute things for the kids to do! I've spent alot of time on The Crafty Crow and found some really cute things to do. This little project looked so fun I couldn't resist ;) Corn Syrup Painting!

Corn syrup and food coloring, glossy paper and paint brushes. Easy!

First, using crayon, draw a picture. They had a bit of trouble coming up with something so we talked about an abstract picture as a possibility. Remember how we used to draw those all the time? Just a bunch of scribbles then colored all the little areas in?! Fun! Anyway, they thought of some good stuff :)
Megan cracks me up. She's a bit excited ;)
Nicholas drew a little guy. I tried to get him to fill the page, but it looks great just the way he wanted it :)
(notice my kitchen walls are not red anymore ;) yep, the kitchen got painted twice this spring...ugh!)
Brandon drew some random geometric shapes. It looked great!

Finished paintings:
Megan did two. The first one is an abstract the second is a house and some outside things.
The paint is very puffy. That's what I thought was so cool about it.
It was a really fun project and the kids had a blast doing it!

Now for the bad news. I'm not actually sure it dries! We've had these sitting around for over a week and they are still wet and sticky! UGH! They turned out great and I REALLY wanted to hang them, but it looks like I won't be getting my way. I think we might try this with regular paint so we can hang them.

2 comments:

  1. I seen this one and thought about it, glad I waited since they may not dry. Yours look great though, throw some modge podge over it to help dry it???

    ReplyDelete