Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Night at the Zoo

We made it right under the deadline for Boo at the Zoo! We haven't been in a few years so the kids were pretty excited. It can be so hard to coordinate all our crazy schedules, but it worked out perfectly for a family night outing, so we went!

When we first walked in the gate, the kids saw this and HAD to stick their heads in for a pic. All except Nick, who decided to give me a hard time ;) Every time I snapped the picture, he'd pulled his head out! Grr! This is what I got:

 Are you kidding me??

Finally, I caught him! Not that it's a great picture or anything. Good grief.
After that little aggravating episode, we headed over to one of the animal shows already going on. I love the shows during Boo at the Zoo. Funny and educational! In this show, there was a, um, redneck (is that still ok to say? He really was!) who was hearing sounds all around his farm so he had a scientist come check it out. Every sound, like a ghost in the barn, was explained and an animal was brought out and carried around for the audience to see. Those guys were hilarious! This was the last part of the show:

 Can you see his mullet wig? Cracking me up!
 This was the spooky animal that he thought was a UFO circling his house. It was a really good show.
Megan was in shock by all the creepy-crawlies they kept bringing out :) Good thing she had her big sis along to protect her!


This is where Nicholas spent the show:

 He was much happier after some daddy-snuggles so I thought I try one more pic:

 I can never get everyone smiling...ugh. It was just too cold to stay in one place for long so I didn't press the issue :) I think Megan was still in shock ;)

We headed over to see the polar bear exhibit. Neither Todd or Kristen had been so we were excited to show them! Unfortunately, they were a no-show. Must have been off snoozing somewhere as we couldn't even see them! It was a nice walk though. The zoo folks had spooked it up a bit:
 I really wanted to catch the telling of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I was certain it would be good! The place for it was here:

 I could just imagine how fun it would be for our kids to hear a "ghost story" outside at night. Unfortunately, since the polar bears hadn't cooperated, we were in the wrong place at the wrong time and no one was willing to stand around in the freezing cold and wait for it to start. Maybe next year :)

We headed over to see the monkeys and tigers, a must for us, but they were sleeping! The tiger was so cute laying there with his sleepy eyes nuzzling his giant paws! I thought Megan was going to figure out a way to climb in there for a snuggle! (or a snack...for the tiger anyway ;)) So I didn't get any cute animal pics (except the animals we took home!) because they were all sleeping!

We found the hay maze:


 So cute!
 Jon joined us for a bit of zoo fun. We were happy to have him :) I really wish we'd all been able to see those polar bears though!

Our kids love to go to the zoo anytime for any reason, it's never a disappointment to them. But going at night was a bit...different ...for the animals. Many of them were settling in for the night! It was fun to see the animals that are usually so active, snoozing away. Cute! Next year, though, more shows! That's were all the animals that are awake are ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment