Saturday, December 12, 2009

Boys...

This week, we started Christmas break. It was quite unintentional as I'd scheduled school up to the eighteenth, but the boys decided that was unrealistic :) So Christmas break began!

And actually, I don't mind. I LOVE Christmas! I can hardly wait to play Christmas music (November, always) and start pulling out our decorations (immediately after Thanksgiving)! The crafts, the baking...love all of it!

Anyway, don't think these kids aren't learning anything!

They have been left largely to entertain themselves since I've been making countless trips to the basement to return empty boxes and trying to clean this house. This has led to some pretty creative days! Which brings me to my story ;)

On one of those days, they decided to see if one of their stuffed monkeys could use a homemade kite as a hang-glider. They attached it to their kite (I think Nicholas made it in his Seasons class?) and launched him from the second floor stair rail! Usually, I stop this kind of stuff, but that day I let it go (breathe!). I did however make sure Megan found a safe place to stand and still watch the experiments! They spent a good deal of time testing different monkeys (they have quite a collection!) to view fall rates. Afterward, Brandon sat down to figure out how big the kite would have to be to hold one of them. Seriously! Real life math application at it's best :) I love when they do that! And none of this was suggested by me at all!

Now don't get me wrong, there's been lots of video games and other goofing off going on over here ;) But there's also been some very creative Lego building (Nicholas built a beautiful skyscraper), verbal math (Megan has mastered "plus one") and, of course, lots of reading, crafting, Bible lessons, and soon, baking ;) I'm not worried at all about taking some time to enjoy the holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! Do not feel guilty, if anyone should it would be me, the slacker who took the whole month off!! Enjoy it, enjoy it!! Today I got up at 10am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys have a busy fun-filled holiday (with NO school) planned!!!
    Yeah!!!! Enjoy, it will be Jan. before we know it!!!

    ReplyDelete