Sunday, December 6, 2009

Something New

Every year, I get so stressed about making sure that the real message of Christmas isn't lost among all the materialism and busyness. Usually, I feel like I fail miserably. Yes, my kids know the story of Christ's birth. They totally get the "Reason for the Season". It just has not seemed like enough. I feel guilty about all the decorating and shopping. It seems like there should be more...

This year, I think I may have added the right activity for us. We've added a Jesse Tree to go along with Advent. I've seen them online before, but the ornaments seemed too complicated and I couldn't really find a "program" of sorts to follow. I thought I'd spend more time trying to figure it out than actually doing it! But, I finally stumbled across the perfect one!

First, you make a "tree" out of whatever you like; a branch from a real tree (that's what we did) or use construction paper or felt and cut one out to hang on your wall. Then, this is the best part, you go here to print off the ornaments and daily readings! Piece of cake! We have enjoyed this so much. It only takes a few minutes each day, but it feels good to really dig into the Bible with them.

This website goes right along with Advent, so last week was Prophecy. It was so much fun reading some of the early and more obscure prophecies with the kids and pointing out Jesus along the way!

Here's our tree so far:
If you use the ornaments, I printed the small ones and covered them with clear contact paper. You could also just use card stock.

2 comments:

  1. We are trying to study the Jesse tree as well this year but you are WAY ahead of me. We haven't made any of the ornaments yet!
    We are using the Holy Heroes videos and love them.
    I feel the same way about the "true" meaning of Christmas. We are trying to simplify around here!
    Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete