Friday, May 22, 2009

Tomorrow...

Tomorrow is the big day! The parents of one of our homeschool co-ops organize a graduation ceremony for the seniors. It's really sweet and personalized just like everything homeschooling :) Since the students are actually graduating from their own homeschools (not the co-op), each diploma is personalized with the school name of our own school and the parents sign the bottom. During the ceremony, the parents will go on stage with their child and present the diploma while a mini-bio is being read. There are also a few senior performances, speakers, a commencement address...and prayer. I'm so thankful for that part.

Kristen went to school for the first four years. In the first grade, she came home one day and said, "Mom, did you know some kids are homeschooled?" I said, "Yes." She said, "Why can't I be homeschooled?"

It was very hard to explain to a six year old that I just didn't think I could do a good enough job. I didn't think I had the patience either :) I stuck to my guns though and she went all through elementary school.

Middle school was different though. After Todd and I attended a meeting for parents of fourth-graders in preparation for going to the middle school, I really started thinking about homeschooling more seriously. I'm so very glad I did. I wish I had prayerfully considered it sooner. Once I let God help with that big decision, there was no doubt in my mind what I was going to do;) Homeschooling these precious, wonderful kids has been the best thing I've ever done! This is truly a blessing.

Tomorrow is a happy and sad day. I'm so excited for Kristen! She's worked so hard! And believe me she is so ready to go on to the next stage of her life ;) But although I'm happy I can't say it won't be a little difficult. This has been a journey and now part of it is over...changed. I'll have a part in her new journey too, but not quite the same part. I'm so, so glad she plans to continue to live at home and go to a local college. I think she would miss us too much ;)

The really strange part is how much of my life will go on just the same. There are still kids to school and all the lovely chores to do! It's really an odd feeling.

Here are some pictures from tonight's rehearsal:

Check out that smile!

The "seniors" section.
She's on the left in the back.

Looking forward to tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. Laura, enjoy your day with her!
    Kristen, CONGRATS GRAD!! :)

    We'll be thinking of you all tomorrow and cheering for you all the way!

    ReplyDelete