Sunday, October 17, 2010

Again, He Plays

Brandon started piano lessons when he was quite young. About a year and a half ago, I decided to let him quit. It was a very hard decision. Lots of people told me I shouldn't. Truly, I wondered if I should make him stick it out. He played beautifully and I know as an adult this will be a skill he will be thankful for. Music is good for our soul. It is a precious gift from God!

But, there was also the part of me that wondered why I would make him do something that really is extra-curricular if he didn't love it? Making him practice was torture. I was afraid if we continued to force the issue, he would never love to play again. We let him quit. My only stipulation was that he continued to play some songs he knew to he wouldn't forget all that he had worked for. He did for a short while but then he stopped. Every now and then he'd sit and pluck a tune out with his right hand.

Something changed this year. He's been asking for lessons again. He's practicing. He misses performing in the Showcase. We'll get his lessons going very soon and he can't wait! For now, he sits down several time a day to practice....without a word of reminder from me.



This makes my heart sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment